Enforcing Court Orders

Attorney Enforcing Court Orders in Corpus Christi, Texas

Enforcing court orders is especially important in family law where there are issues of financial payments and child support at stake.

In general, the court has the power to enforce all aspects of a divorce decree if one spouse ignores the mandates in the final judgment.

This can include enforcing:

  • alimony payments
  • rights to parental visitation
  • child support
  • division of assets

It is a crime to act contrary to a court order

If you ignore a court order, a contempt charge could be brought against you, which in some cases carries a short jail sentence.

It is critical that the final divorce decree be highly specific in the actions that are required, so that there is no room for ambiguity. Payments must be specified by date and amount, and visitation should detail location and exact timing.

The goal of a court enforcing orders from a divorce is not to send the other party to jail. The court wants to have the ex-spouse abide by the divorce decree and make the payments required.

Even if one is contempt, it is unlikely that jail time will be the result.

Instead, probation or community service may be substituted so that the party can work and fulfill the divorce agreement.

Nonetheless, at times an ex-spouse may refuse to make basic payments, and in that case the court will be forced to step in.

If you have been a part of a divorce and have failed to make payments, or your ex-spouse has stopped support payments, you should seek legal counsel to protect your rights.

In either case, you have a final divorce decree that mandates action.

Bobby Bourlon has spent many years as an attorney in family law, and he understands how to work with court orders and avoid non-payment problems or contempt charges.

Before the situation becomes worse, please call for a free consultation at 361-289-6040.

Fill out the quick contact form below now