Improper Debt Collection Attorney in Corpus Christi, Texas
The collection of debts is a big business, and the practices employed by debt collection firms can be improper or even illegal.
Many of these debt collectors are not the original creditor, and have purchased the debt for pennies on the dollar. They are motivated to use any means to get a debtor to pay, and there are some practices that are prohibited such as:
- Calling the creditor before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.
- Continuing contact after a written request to stop
- Repeated contact with third parties other than your attorney
- Refusal to send written proof or confirmation of the debt
In addition there are several categories that receive special prohibition and may carry penalties:
- Using threats of violence, publicity or obscenities
- Representation that they are attorneys or government agents
- An implication that the debtor has committed a crime and making a threat of arrest or imprisonment
- Threats to take property or file a lawsuit even when there is no intention to do so
- Sending papers that appear to be legal forms that you must sign
- Collecting amounts greater than the debt
All of these improper debt collection practices carry penalties for any person or company that uses them.
If you have been subject to any of these practices, contact an attorney who can pursue a remedy against the debt collectors and make them stop.
As a debtor, you have rights under state and federal law, and can force debt collectors to comply with the law.
Bobby Bourlon is concerned about the widespread use of improper debt collection practices, and he knows how to handle unethical companies. As your attorney, he can put a halt to these practices and find a way to handle debt collectors on your behalf.
If you are concerned about money, he has payment plans available.
Please call for a free initial consultation at 361-289-6040.