Name Changes

Name Change Attorney in Corpus Christi, Texas 

Obtaining a name change in Texas is different for an adult than for a minor under 18 years of age.

For a minor, the petition must be filed with the court by a parent or guardian on behalf of the minor. Also, any other parent or guardian must be notified of the petition, and there will be a hearing prior to the order granting the name change.

As long as both parents agree on the name change, then the process is fairly simple.

However, if one parent or guardian objects to the name change, they will be allowed to explain their reasons in the hearing. At that point, it is up to the judge to decide if the name change is good for the child or not. If you are changing the name of a minor, and it is contested, it is a good idea to have an attorney present at the hearing to make your arguments.

If the name change is approved, there is an involved process of changing the name on all official documents and identification papers for the child.

The name change process for an adult is more straightforward, and only requires the proper forms be notarized and filed with the court. There is a fingerprinting requirement for the petition, and then the order can be signed by the judge.

Many adults change their name without an attorney, but if you have many business interests or property ownership, you may want legal assistance to make sure the right steps are followed.

Bobby Bourlon has assisted many clients with name changes, and he can be your attorney to confirm the proper change of all legal and ownership documents.

If you are changing your name or that of a minor, please call for a free consultation at 361-289-6040.

Fill out the quick contact form below now