Child custody is one of the most sensitive issues in a divorce. Child custody battles also take place when two unmarried individuals separate. If you are involved in a child custody case, it’s important to get solid legal support as soon as possible. By working with an experienced Corpus Christi child custody attorney from the start of your case, you can actively protect your rights and advocate for the best interests of your children.
What Does the Court Consider When Determining Child Custody?
In the past, courts typically awarded custody of the children to the mother in the event of a divorce or separation. However, the courts have come to recognize that not only are fathers also capable of providing adequate care for their children, but that a continued relationship with both parents is in the child’s best interests. As a result, there are many issues that a Texas court will take into consideration when making a child custody determination. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- The stability of the home environment that is offered by each parent
- Which residence will facilitate the continued education of the child
- The ability of each parent to physically care for the child
- The income of each parent
- Where each parent’s home is located
- How much time each parent spent with the child prior to the divorce or separation
- How many children there are, as well as their ages
- The preference of the child if he or she is old enough and has the capacity to decide
- Any substantiated claims of domestic violence
- Any history of custody problems, such as refusing visitation
- The physical and mental health of each parent
- Any special needs that the child has
Contact an Experienced Texas Child Custody Lawyer
If you are involved in a child custody dispute, or are considering divorce, it is important that you obtain qualified legal representation from the start of your case. When you work with an experienced attorney, you can establish your right to custody and begin creating a solid legal strategy. At the Bourlon Law Firm, we understand that child custody proceedings can be emotional and confusing, and we’re dedicated to providing each of our clients with the zealous legal support they need.
When you work with us, you can be confident that your child custody case is being handled competently and with the utmost care and compassion. Our experienced Corpus Christi child custody attorneys understand how Texas courts look at child custody cases and can develop a legal plan that helps protect your rights and the interests of your children. Contact us today for a consultation to discuss your case by calling (361) 289-6040.