Establishing Parent-Child Relationship

Attorney Specializing in Establishing Parent-Child Relationship in Corpus Christi, Texas

Establishing a parent-child relationship in Texas may be accomplished in a few different ways. These methods apply to both the mother and father, but others can also establish the relationship under certain conditions.

For the mother-child relationship, it can be established by:

  • The woman giving birth to the child
  • A court process to establish maternity
  • The woman adopts the child

For the father-child relationship, paternity is established by:

  • The statutory presumption of paternity, based on time of birth and marriage
  • A willing acknowledgment of paternity by the man
  • A court process to establish paternity
  • The man adopts the child

There are other relatives who may also affect the parent-child relationship, and in some cases they may bring suit to have a relationship with the child for his/her well-being. These people can be:

  • Grandparents
  • Siblings
  • Aunts
  • Uncles
  • Stepparents
  • Others who have had previous contact with the child

These relatives and interested persons may request to have visitation rights, or even custody in some cases.

A court may order termination of the parent-child relationship when it is in the best interest of the child. Examples of this can include when either parent:

  • has a mental illness
  • is unable to care for the child
  • voluntarily relinquishes their rights

In the case where both parents are unable to meet their responsibilities, the court may appoint a conservator or guardian.

The process of legally establishing parent-child relationships will depend on the facts of every case and whether the criteria for paternity and maternity have been met. Any court proceeding will require an attorney who knows family law in Texas and the standards being applied.

Bobby Bourlon is a qualified Texas attorney with a background in all types of family law that affect both parents and children. If you need to establish a parent-child relationship that is recognized by the court, or wish to challenge paternity or maternity, he can help you with the case.

Please call today for a free consultation at 361-289-6040.

Fill out the quick contact form below now